Arizona Cattle Dog Rescue is a non-profit organization 501(c)(3) whose mission is to rescue, rehabilitate and ultimately re-home abandoned, stray and neglected Australian Cattle Dogs throughout the state of Arizona. Whenever possible, we also assist ACDs who because of extenuating circumstances are unable to remain in their homes with their owners.
The Australian Cattle Dog has become quite popular in recent years. They are also known by many other names: Blue Heeler, Red Heeler, Queensland Heeler, Cattle Dog or simply Heeler. ALL of these names refer to one breed: the Australian Cattle Dog. Their intelligence, versatility and durability all lend to their popularity in several different positions, whether as a family companion to canine sports to professional jobs such as search and rescue and service dogs. The Australian Cattle Dog has truly made a name for itself in the last decade.
Because of their reputation for being a very smart dog, people believe that translates to ease of training. To train a cattle dog correctly one must provide intentional and consistent direction as well as plenty of physical and mental stimulation. The average dog owner has no idea of what they are up against when they get a cute cattle dog pup! This is why the average age for ACDs in shelters and in need of new homes is 1-2 years old.
Arizona Cattle Dog Rescue is a Foster-Home-based rescue with foster homes throughout all of Arizona. Our volunteers are well versed with cattle dogs and their needs. We work closely with our dogs to ensure they learn proper boundaries and are given the correct direction in which to use their brains and their bodies. We strive to place each dog in its optimal home where its individual needs will be met. In doing so we hope to guarantee our dogs will never be part of the “system” again and both people and pup will be able to live a full and happy life together!
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
- Dog Quixote - 5-month-old terrier/ACD mix - available Dog Quixote is an exceptionally sweet and calm fellow. Discovered under a car at a gas station in Northern Arizona, truly he was born to be an example of misfortune. But his faint cowdog spots earned him a spot in ...
- Thelma and Louise - 4-month-old female ACDs - adopted Louise is adopted!
Arizona Cattle Dog Rescue added a new photo to the album: Thelma and Louise - 4-month-old female ACDs - adopted.
- Morning Glory - 3-year-old female ACD mix - adopted Morning Glory (left) is adopted!
Arizona Cattle Dog Rescue added a new photo to the album: Morning Glory - 3-year-old female ACD mix - adopted.
- Miss Minniepenny (Penny) - adopted Tackling the Vega Trail Experience in Colorado, ACDR graduates Lava and Kalea (Miss Minniepenny and Kelsey, while in rescue). Their people share, "They have truly blossomed and become such amazing companions and best friends!"
Arizona Cattle Dog Rescue added a ...
- Mimi - 4 year-old female mini Australian Shepherd - available Mimi is 36 pounds of boundless love and energy. Though she was originally purchased from a miniature Australian shepherd breeder, at about 21 inches at the shoulder, she's a bit too tall to be classified as a mini, and too ...